JOB OPENING: EDITOR / PUBLISHER/ MARKETING
Search begins April 2010. Application deadline July 30
South End Press is making moves. We have opened an office in Brooklyn, NY. And we’re hiring. We are currently seeking qualified applicants to join our small, majority women and majority people of color collective as Editor/Publisher.
You know how to bring attention to struggles and the people engaged in them. You love books. You care about social justice. Blend your avocation and vocation at South End Press, the 33-years-young political publisher of nonfiction books that advance critical thinking and action for radical social change. We are currently seeking qualified applicants to join our collective. With the other collective members, you would work to manage the business, acquire manuscripts, and edit, produce, and promote books. Interviews begin June 15, application deadline July 30. People of color and LGBTIQ people strongly encouraged to apply.
• Three years of publishing, editing, or promotions experience
• Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of progressive and radical politics
• Familiarity with progressive and radical media
• Demonstrated ability to manage and direct long-term projects with strict timelines
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Excellent writing skills
• Proficiency with computers, including experience with word-processing, desktop publishing, database, and spreadsheet software. Familiarity with Adobe software a plus.
• Knowledge of the book trade
• Organizing or media experience within communities of color and/or LGBTIQ communities
• Marketing or fundraising experience
• Experience working collectively
• Working autonomously and collaboratively within a non-hierarchical structure
• Acquiring, editing, producing, and promoting non-fiction books on subjects such as: transnational feminisms, anti-racist activism, queer politics, international politics, green politics, anti-capitalist struggles, prison abolition
• Managing business departments (marketing/publicity to start, others e.g. production, rights, finances possible on a rotating basis)
• Sharing management of the business, including budgeting, collective decision-making, and office maintenance
• Communicating with current and potential authors and media contacts
Additional 20% differential for editors with children or elders at home. Full health/dental benefits, public transit pass, four weeks paid vacation per year. People of color and LGBTIQ people strongly encouraged to apply. Send resume and cover letter, preferably in digital format and pdf if possible, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may send by post to: Personnel, South End Press, PO Box 24773, Brooklyn, NY 11202-4773 or FAX (800) 960-0078. NO PHONE INQUIRIES, PLEASE.